Sunday, November 20, 2005

The colors of Boston

I was riding the bus home from the Watertown Mall Target, and I was thinking about how I see Boston. Rather funny thing to think about on a Sunday evening bus ride? Perhaps...but I bet you could make a very interesting collection of stories out of the kinds of things people think about on the bus or the T, huh?

Anywho, back to my story. I was thinking about how I see Boston. And I realized that I see it in specific colors depending on where I am. Red for Cambridge, Somerville, Watertown, and places connected to the Red Line. Green for BU, BC, Allston, Brighton, Brookline, and places connected to the Green Line. And similarly for the other two lines. Downtown is a myriad of color because it's where the 4 colored areas of Boston collide and intertwine.

It's an interesting way to travel Boston...because in the periphery of my vision in any given place in the city and surrounding Metro area, I see the color of the area I'm in. When I see a map of the Boston Metro area, my imagination fills in the areas with their respective colors. When I see a new part of Boston, I mark it on my mental map with one of the 4 colors.

I guess, for me, it's just one more way to get to know Boston. One more way to see Boston for the unique and interesting city that it is.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Demand Tonic Sol-fa with Eventful! Discover and Create Events at Eventful Learn More about Eventful Demand