Saturday, November 26, 2005

No day but today...to see the movie...to share the message...to live the experience of Rent

I just saw Rent the movie. It was...IS...so good! And I'm so glad that it is. I was worried that the movie would lessen the experience and the power of that story. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that worry. But the movie gave the story a fresh interpretation, gathered some amazing talent to play the cast of Rent, and blew its audience away with the same energy and inspiration that the Broadway production gives its audience members. I laughed, I cried, and I left the theater feeling very reflective--as I have done all 3 times I've seen Rent on the stage.

Rent is such a powerful story. A story about love, friendship, and what's truly important in life. A story that speaks to a generation of youth that feels very alone, very unnoticed, and very mobile--in the sense that we often don't stay in one place for very long. Rent, through its characters, its music, its emotion, its energy, carries a message of hope to all of us. We are not alone. We are not unimportant. Love is the binding force that keeps us going, that keeps us together, that helps us face each day. And we can't wait until tomorrow to share and rejoice in the gift of life all around us. Friends are here, now. Life is here, now. No day but today. And what's great about that message is that it applies to everyone, regardless of whether or not they have AIDS, like most of the characters in the show/movie. Life goes on, it's up to us to grab on and enjoy the ride. Otherwise, life will simply pass us by as we wait by the window for death to knock at our respective doors.

"I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul, my only goal is just to be. There's only now. There's only here. Give in to love, or live in fear. No other path. No other way. No day but today."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Demand Tonic Sol-fa with Eventful! Discover and Create Events at Eventful Learn More about Eventful Demand