Thursday, February 23, 2006

Boston = Minnesota? To me...perhaps...

Do you have a view, a scene, something that you could sit and literally watch for hours? Something, perhaps, that most people walk by without really noticing? Or, perhaps they notice it but don't see it the same way you do?

Bet you can guess that I have one of these scenes. Bet you already guessed that that's what I'm blogging about today. Bet, if you've read my blog before, that you could probably even guess what that scene is.

Only my favorite view of Boston's skyline, as seen from the Longfellow Bridge. Over-looking the water, the silent giants towering above the lines of old buildings and steeples from old churches. It's got such a layered effect...I always see something new every time I look at it.

But I've talked on and on about how much I like looking at this view of Boston. Check out my archives to hear more about what I have to say about this scene. No, the real reason that I'm writing today is because I find it curious how those scenes become favorites. What makes a thing, a scene, an action so intriguing to a person that he/she could literally sit and watch it for hours? Obviously it has a whole lot to do with the person and his/her unique personality and preferences. But, what I think is cool, is that everyone has something that they can say this about...that they will never tire of watching.

For me, it's peaceful, calming. It helps me unwind from the stress of work, or helps me let go of the muddle of too many thoughts racing through my head. It's become my own little ritual to watch that scene as I pass by it on the T to and from work. And I find myself feeling a little off if I miss a day. I peek through people when the train is crowded, just to catch a glimpse of "my skyline." Because that's how I think of it. It's my Boston skyline, because it's become such a personal scene.
Something about this view of Boston speaks to me...clears my head. The gentle, unassuming way that the two towers of Boston mingle with the lesser buildings surrounding them. The quietness that seems to pour out of this scene. The familiarity of certain buildings that I've come across on my walks through the city. The casual beauty of the mix of tall buildings and water of the Charles in the full view of this scene.

I don't know why it continues to throw me into a state of wonder everytime I look at this skyline. But, I always feel a bit like a child looking at snow for the first time, or peering through the windows of a candy store. Filled with awe and wonder and excitement, humbled by the great size of what I see before me, rendered a bit speechless because of the magic of what I see.

In an odd way, it reminds me of Minnesota...looking at a scene of the woods near a lake, or looking out over a field of wheat or corn, or watching wild grass blowing in the wind. Two very different worlds...one a developed, fast-paced city, the other a vast amount of wild, undeveloped land. But somehow, both put me in such a serene and contented mood. Somehow, they're so very simiilar. Somehow, this view of Boston always reminds me of home.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Demand Tonic Sol-fa with Eventful! Discover and Create Events at Eventful Learn More about Eventful Demand